Author Topic: Ask somebody who has been there - ask a resident!  (Read 69417 times)

Offline prab

• View Profile
Ask somebody who has been there - ask a resident!
« on: February 11, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
Hi,
I am a resident interested in medical education. One of my hobbies is to help people on the forums as I love to help others since it helps me to learn and keep upto date. Over the years, I have helped a lot of people via different forums icluding residentscafe.com, usmle.net to name a few. I will be happy to answer any questions - either the actual subject related questions, advice or any doubts regarding the process! Use this free offer before I get overwhelmed!

Offline v9

• View Profile
Re: Ask somebody who has been there - ask a resident!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:52:44 AM »
Hi i am new to this forum,i have passed step 1 with low score of 78 in first attempt,i am a foreign graduate,i dont understand what to do now where do i stand with such a score,i am interested in internal medicine,gynaec,paeds do u c any hope 4 me,planning to give cs in a month,pls help ???

Offline prab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:57:33 AM »
Hi,
One low score of 78 in first attempt does not mean end of career in medicine. There are many who have low scores and multiple attempts that do make it. You will, however, have to work hard on the remaining steps and make sure you get a good score. You can also do an observership, externship or research to help improve your chances. Nothing is impossible but you have to try a bit harder. ALL the best.

Offline v9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:49:17 AM »
 thanx prab,ur advice will really make differnce in my carrier plans,can i have few details regarding research and externship,i have no idea abt it,it would b of gr8 help to me :)

Offline usmlesource

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
Hi,
I am not sure what exactly you want to know about research. Basically, if you have published some articles, it is a good thing on your CV. As far as exterships go, some US hospitals offer opportunities to work with them for a small fee under supervision called externships. It is somewhat like an internship but you are not paid. In fact, you may have to pay a small fee for the privilege. It is a bit hard to find these spots for IMG's. However, you can also do an observorship in a hospital or clinic and get some good US LOR'S. You should think about these after you complete your steps so you are not too deviated.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 02:38:36 PM by usmlesource »

Offline v9

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 02:14:37 AM »
hi thanx a lot :)